Quickly rising home values result in higher property taxes. If you own real estate anywhere in Central Ohio you probably received a letter from your County Auditor stating that your property taxes have increased.

Many homeowners saw their tax bill go up by more than 30%.

If you feel that the higher valuation is not justified, you can file an appeal with the Board of Revisions of your County.

Here’s what you need to do:

How to File a Property Valuation Complaint

You must submit to the Board of Revision (BOR) your property valuation complaints¬†with the County Auditor by April 2nd, 2018. All documents and an explanation of what to submit can be found at the auditor’s website of your county – here are the links.

Franklin County offers mobile office sessions prior to the deadline to help you file the BOR complaint.

To support your case, you should attach a formal appraisal or comparable sales. I can help you prepare a list of comparables. If you purchased the house below its appraised value, you can show the closing disclosure as proof of value.

Based on our personal experience, the BOR is fair and willing to lower your property’s value, if you provide proper documentation.

Notes on Filing Your Complaint

  1. Forms: The form for filing your valuation complaint seems to be the same for each county. It’s just 1-page long. Click here to download a PDF.
  2. Tax Value vs Market Value: The taxable value of your property is 35% of the fair market value.
  3. School District: The Union County Auditor notes that they are required by law to notify the school district, if a complaint exceeds $50,000 in market value. During the Board of Revision hearings an attorney representing the school district is typically present.

You only have 2 more weeks to file! If you have questions about the market value of your home, don’t hesitate to contact me at (614) 975-9650.

Disclaimer: As a Realtor I cannot give you legal advice or prepare a formal appraisal. Contact your attorney, if you have additional questions on how to file a valuation complaint.