A very special THANK YOU to all my clients who served in the armed forces. There were quite a few of you. I always appreciate the opportunity to help you sell or find a great home for your family.
For many buyers new construction homes seem to be out of reach in Northwest Columbus. Builders charge a minimum of $400,000 for new homes in Dublin and Powell. Only 12% of buyers can afford these homes.
Luckily, I found some alternatives for you …
Plain City New Homes in Darby Fields
In this M/I development just south of Plain City the base price of a single-family home is $280,000. My experience tells me that the typical buyer spends another 20% on options to get the home they really want. They end up paying around $336,000.
As a matter of fact, quick move-in homes are a good indicator of what you will have to pay for a well-equipped home in a new subdivision.
M/I still has 10 quick move-in homes available. This is a great opportunity for buyers who don’t want to wait 9 months for construction to finish.
For $319,900 you can buy a brand-new, 1,728 sqft house with 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and a 2-car garage. Best of all, you can move in before the end of the year.
If you decide to build new, construction time is 8 to 9 months and requires a $7,000 non-refundable deposit. Both lot and construction are paid when the home is ready for you to move in.
If you like M/I homes but prefer the Westerville School District you may want to consider Minerva Park where M/I sells quick move-in homes in the same price range as in Plain City.
Other Subdivisions Under $350,000
Tarlton Meadows | Hilliard: Pulte offers some styles of patio homes for less than $350,000 in this new development on Heritage Trail.
Heathers at Golf Village North | Powell: Here you might squeeze in a new Pulte home for just under $350K. Homes are approximately 2,300 sqft and most quick move-ins are just over $350K.
Adena Point | Marysville: Fischer has a 1,842 sqft (3 BR, 2.5 BA) move-in ready home for sale at $304,990.
Ravines of the Olentangy | Delaware: Another Fischer development with homes starting under $300,000. A 2,474 sqft (4 BR, 2.5 BA) move-in ready home is listed $334,990.
Weaver Ridge | Marysville: This Westport Homes community offers 1,500 – 2,000 sqft new homes for less than $300,000.
Clark Shaw Moors | Powell: In this community located in the Olentangy School District Rockford Homes sell for $330,000 and more. Their only inventory home is listed for $387,705 (2,690 sqft, 4 BR, 2.5 BA).
Sorry, there are no new built homes in Dublin for under $350,000.
8 Steps to Buy a New Construction Home
If you consider buying or building a new home, follow these steps:
- Call me first, because you need a trusted adviser on your side before you talk to the builder (the seller). It does not cost you anything. The builder will pay my commission.
- Buyer Consultation We’ll meet to discuss your price range, desired location, school district, and what you are looking for in a new home. Based on this meeting I will guide you to the right subdivisions. We’ll also look at new-builds listed on the MLS.
- Meet the Builder We will visit builders together to see if they have any inventory homes you could purchase right away. We’ll also go through the options they offer and look at lots and subdivisions.
- Purchase Contract After you select a model and the structural features of your new home, we will write a purchase contract for the price we negotiated. At this stage you have to make a non-refundable earnest money deposit which will be applied to the purchase price.
- Design Center When the contract is signed, we will jointly meet at the design center. I will help you pick options and negotiate upgrades. At this stage I can give you invaluable advice on which options are important for a future resale, which ones are reasonably priced, and which options you should avoid.
- Construction During construction (6 – 9 months) we will follow the builder’s progress. I recommend you stop by the construction site on a regular basis to catch any possible mistakes.
- Home Inspection When construction is complete, we will schedule a home inspection. That’s important even on a new-built home. It can save you hassles later.
- Move-In When all remedies are completed, we will close, and you get the keys to your new home. Congrats!
Call or text me TODAY at (614) 975-9650. Builders are offering great deals on inventory homes!
Susanne Novak has been a Realtor since 2007. She is the broker and owner of RE/MAX 24/7 in the Dublin Historic District. Susanne typically helps 50-60 families each year with their real estate needs. She's your trusted advisor when you search for your dream home, and a skilled negotiator when she lists your property to get top dollar when you sell.